The environment is a living thing. We all have a duty and responsibility to create a sustainable environment. Australian industry accounts for about 45% of Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions. The alarming rate of greenhouse gas emissions is causing global warming that has resulted in changed weather patterns with effects like drought, shortage of water, rising sea levels etc. The environmental impact of the welding/fabrication industry can be studied under four headings, to determine ways to manage a company’s environmental plan, namely Material Preparation, Welding, Testing and Final Treatment.
This Technical Note covers a variety of environmental subjects in the welding industry including:
• reducing greenhouse gas emissions;
• partial compliance with AS/NZS ISO 14001: Environmental Management Systems and compliance with Government legislation;
• improving your tendering and contracting opportunities and assisting participation in voluntary environmental programs;
• minimising energy consumption and improving energy management
• reusing and recycling of materials and waste reduction;
• using renewable resources;
• improving your public profile;
• enhancing environmental awareness;
• improvement through better design;
• improvement through better equipment maintenance;
• case studies;
• cost-benefit analysis.
Current edition: 2002
Previous edition(s): nil
Available for purchase at: www.wtia.com.au/catalog.htm .